"When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds: Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive, and you discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be." - Patanjali

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Gujarat

So I finished traveling around Gujarat and the entire trip of 10 days blew past just like that!

So I started of at a place called Palitana (pics below). The climb to the top of the hill took 2hrs - in my hopelessly paneer filled state - and 3000+ steps. By the time I reached the top I was exhausted and humiliated. A little girl followed me up most of the way, offering to carry my bag to assist me. My pride didn't allow me to avail the offer, but I made it, and the sight from the top was well worth the effort.

From Palitana, I took of to a place called Junagadh, also famous for Jain temples on top of a hill, only this time the climb was 10,000 steps. After the previous climb, I let this chance pass. Junagadh also sports Ashokan rock edicts. Edicts King Ashoka had inscribed on the side of a rock stating the 14 laws on how to live life. Later Maurayan Kings added to the 14.

The pilgrimage part of the tour began at the next leg in Somnath. Somnath is well renowned for its Shiva temple, and after an afternoon of visiting various temples, the next morning, I was fortunate to have a darshan of the 7am arthi.

Pobander was next on the list, and home to Gandhiji's brthplace. The entire visit lasted not more than 12/15 hours, but was some of the most peaceful of the trip so far. Porbander is a small sleepy town, where everyone seems to know everyone else and life is sleepyily continued. Gandhiji's birthplace doesn't bring a magical aura, but is a simple tribute to a simple man.

Anyways, will stop for now cos the power is going to be cut, here in Chitoor, about 2hours north east of Udaipur in the remarkable state of Rajasthan.

No comments: